Ramblings of A Mutant Penguin

The Mutant Penguin Herself Speaks - Personally

Monday, December 31, 2012

End of the Year

Here we are at the end of the year.  I haven't blogged since the beginning of November.  I wish I could say I have good reasons but I probably only have the excuse of just not doing it.

I am still working just 20 hours per pay period (2 weeks) and so desperately hoping they can double that so I can get off unemployment.  I told them the end of the month but I am thinking that may not happen.  But then again, after the holidays are over maybe things will improve.  I sure hope so.  I want to stay here in my house in California and keep working at this job I love with wonderful employers.  But I need enough income.  There aren't any other jobs in this area, even part time, that I could use to make up the difference.  Worst case scenario is I have to sell the house (or give it up to the bank), move in with my mother and do their part time work in New Hampshire.  That's up to God.  I do what I can.  My employers do what they can.  But the plan for my life is set out and executed by God and whatever He decides, I have to accept.

It seems colder this winter than last but that could be because last winter I wasn't working and spent a lot of time sleeping thanks to being depressed. This winter I am working and up and about more.

Since this is the day most people reflect on how their year has gone, here's a brief reflection of my own.

I started the year 100% unemployed.  At the end of February I was hired for a full time job and started that the first Monday of March.  Then the Wednesday before Easter (first week of April), I'm told I'm being laid off.  I asked if I could at least work the end of the week so I was granted those two days.  Back to being unemployed.  Had no health insurance with that job so that status didn't change.

In June I saw an ad on craigslist for a part time probate paralegal position for a firm in the bay area that was a telecommute job.  They said not to apply if you were looking for full time but that within 6 months it could be as many as 30 hours per week.  Depending on what they paid it could work.  So I applied, interviewed and the next day they hired me at a very good wage which will pay my bills at 20 hours per week and anything over that (which I would love!) would make it possible for me to eventually get a new car and have some breathing room.

I've worked for them for over 6 months and been extremely happy.  They are wonderful employers.     I hope to be with them for a very, very long time.

In October I was able to go spend 10 days with my family in New Hampshire.  I got to see Ally and Matt and my college friends... it was a great way to spend my birthday!

For Thanksgiving and Christmas I spent my holidays with my dear friend Susan and her family.  At Thanksgiving dinner her granddaughter, Isabelle, came up and put her arms around me and asked me if I would please come spend Christmas with them because I was family and she really wanted me there.  I thought I was going to cry.  I love them all so dearly!

Christmas Eve I went to Amy's new apartment and we had a turkey dinner while we watched "A Christmas Story".  I would love to make it a tradition of sorts next year and have dinner at my house (non-turkey probably) and watch the movie.

Tonight I have no plans.  Today is my nephew Ryan's birthday.  He turned 28 today.  The extent of what I am doing today is hopefully obtaining some work from my employers and possibly cleaning the floors which are in need of it.  I may start taking down some of the Christmas decorations but I love seeing them.

Tomorrow I am only available to work a couple of hours because my plans changed.  I am going to brunch with Amy and then later to a movie with my friend Alma.

The end of this year is better than 2011.  And I hope that next year is even better.

I plan to do all I can to be the best mom, daughter, sister, friend, employee and human being I can be.

I wish everyone a wonderful new year and pray that your life is filled with as many blessings as you pray for, hope for and need.

Sometimes all we need to make things better is a little faith that it will happen.  And this year I have a lot more faith in that (and God) than I have had before so I know life is not only going to be good, it already is.         

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home