Ramblings of A Mutant Penguin

The Mutant Penguin Herself Speaks - Personally

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Updating and Merry Christmas!

I hope by now everyone knows that the unemployment extension for 2 months has been passed and is law! Yippie! This means, according to the unemployment department, that because it is an extension of what is already in place, when they file for my extension on January 6, 2012 I will be eligible for 20 (!) more weeks of unemployment benefits. This is time enough for congress to put together whatever schedule they're going to and I won't be out of benefits before they make a new schedule. My hope is that they keep the 99 weeks but I keep hearing it will be 79. If this is true I will have another 33 weeks past and it will take me into November, 2012 which will give me another 9 months to find a job on top of the 6 I have already had. It gives me time to wait until the sheriff's office is done and makes hiring decisions. While there is no guarantee I will be offered a job (lots of hope, though!) at least I can wait and stay living in my house and paying my bills.

I had said I would put up my Christmas tree if I had an extension or job. Well with only 2 days left I decided that hauling it downstairs then back up again in just that short time wasn't worth the physical effort. I have a beautiful little ceramic Christmas tree made by a family member which I have had out most of the month. I light it every night. I am actually thinking I will keep it out year-round to remind me of the blessing I received at Christmas this year of the extension to allow me to, hopefully, find a job before my benefits expire again.

I obviously could not buy gifts for anyone this year. I made a convertible cowl for my mother that is like a scarf that goes around her neck but you pull the back up as a hood. I had told her that would need to suffice as her Christmas present. I sent my brother, grandson and daughter $20 cash (and $20 for my grandson's 5th birthday which is TODAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATT!!). My mother had sent it to me and said that she felt bad I couldn't do anything so she wanted me to have a little money to give them so the cards wouldn't be empty. Yes, that made me cry. I probably could have done that myself. I do have a little savings set aside. I also have money put aside that was given to me for my birthday which I could have used. She didn't want me to do that. Yesterday after the good news I was visiting my friend Amy and she wanted to go to the movies. I bought her ticket and told her it was part of her Christmas present. I made a convertible cowl for a friend here who is always cold as her present, too. I made coasters for another friend. I have no money but I have yarn and can knit and crochet.

I feel truly blessed this Christmas season. I will be able to stay in my house and keep looking for a job to KEEP me in my house. I have loving family and friends. I even have some presents waiting to be opened. A friend from college who has known me for 38 years sent me a present and card so I would know I was thought of and missed. Thank you Jeannie!

I sit here this morning drinking my favorite coffee,writing this on my clunkly old computer in the warmth of a house that has my name on the deed and mortgage. I am warm within my heart. I am feeling loved and cared for and wanted. Not just by my friends and family but I feel that God has hugged me and reassured me that things will be alright.

Christmas is a season of miracles. May you have your share, too.

Merry Christmas everyone!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home