Ramblings of A Mutant Penguin

The Mutant Penguin Herself Speaks - Personally

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Finding Time Is Hard

Finding time to update a blog is hard.  Especially lately.

Even though I am only working part time (10 hours a week) it seems I have very little time.  How does this happen?  Well when you only work an hour or two or three at most per day and it's spread out over many days, it seems like I'm working 4 days a week to make 10 hours.  It wasn't always this way.  I used to always be done on Wednesday and have Thursday, Friday and Saturday to myself and sometimes Sunday.  I don't mind working on a Sunday, though, since it gets me a head start on the week.  Only problem is I can't do that unless I have work already assigned to me.  This week I do so I should be able to get at least 3 hours of the 10 out of the way early.

I spoke to them about unemployment income and when that will go away and how many hours I will need to keep working for them.  I need 20+ a week.  20 will pay the bills but that's it.  Truly I need more than that.  But it has to be every week.  I explained that I can't go off unemployment for a couple of weeks and then have to re-file because it takes a while and I lose a week of income doing that.  So they know that I need 20 or more hours a week, every week, starting no later than the beginning of the year.  Hopefully they can do that.  I would hate to have to give up this job.  And if that was my only income the only way I could survive would be to give my house to the bank and move in with my mother.  I could do the job there... it's telecommute.  But I don't want to do that and there are no other jobs around here.  And any other job would require commuting and I'd have to get a new car and, well, honestly, there is no job around here that could pay me enough to pay the bills, get a car and add car payments and commuting costs.  They love my work so I am sure they will do what they can to make this happen for me and them.

Tonight here's what I did in my half hour spurt of energy.  I did the dishes (luckily not too many), folded the laundry, emptied all the garbage cans and took the one bag of garbage out to the container and moved it into the alley for pickup on Monday, filled the steam mop with water and steam cleaned the tile floors in the kitchen, Tile Room, hallway between the bedrooms and the bathroom and did a little on the laminate floor in the livingroom since I had one spot that was something sticky that had been under the chair and I didn't know about it until Amy and I moved the furniture 2 weeks ago (I moved the futon into the livingroom so I could have a couch and the big leather chair and a half went into the Tile Room with a blanket over it because even with conditioning it's getting dry and going to crack plus the footrest doesn't go up so you can't recline it).  After I did that I turned on the computer so I could check the email and finally grabbed a bottle of water and here I am.

On October 4th I am flying east to see my family!  I haven't been there since May, 2011.  I feel bad, though, because Mom had to pay for the ticket and it was $755!!  I fly back on the 13th.  Since I get in later Thursday night, that day is all shot.  Friday we are going to the beach and Saturday to the mountains.  Saturday night Ally and Matt, and hopefully Sean, are coming and will stay until Monday afternoon.  Wednesday night I am having dinner with my PSC college friends Jeannie, Bev and Torse.  Thursday the 11th is my birthday.

Trying to get ready to go is fun, especially trying to get work done, cleaning, packing and I am making something for mom.  Hopefully that will be done tomorrow.  I wasn't going to make her anything but felt bad because I had the winter when I could have done something but instead I made presents for Ally, Matt, Sean, my friend Tammy and my friend Amy.

I really love my job.  My employers are wonderful people.  The work is challenging and they pay me well.  And it's work I am very qualified to do.  Now to just get enough hours that I can get health insurance although I don't know what that might be, maybe 30.  Hey, at 30 hours a week I could maybe still have Friday off and I would be able to afford to get house repairs and maybe sometime furniture.  But for now I am happy I can make the bills.  And praying that I can get 20 or, with luck 25, hours a week at the beginning of the year so I wouldn't have to worry about unemployment any longer and I could fully support myself.

I can't wait to see my family!!  I haven't been to New Hampshire for my birthday in 2 years.  No foliage.  No anything.  I am going to cry and cry and cry at the airport.  But that's ok.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home