Ramblings of A Mutant Penguin

The Mutant Penguin Herself Speaks - Personally

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Cautious Update

Here's my cautionary update.

Towards the end of June I applied for a part time job.  I had said I wouldn't but this was too good to not apply.  It was for a probate paralegal and they wanted a lot of experience.  I had a 45 minute interview via phone and the next day they offered me the job.  To start it is 10 hours a week at a good pay.  The law firm is in the bay area so I am working from home and we are doing everything via the net or email once the documents are ready.  Their office is about 3.5 hours away from me, one way.  The telecommute is wonderful!

So far I have worked 4 weeks at 10 hours a week.  Today I finished my work week at 12:30pm which means I had half a day today, all tomorrow, Friday, Saturday and maybe Sunday.  I have received my paychecks and now direct deposit.

The employers are wonderful people!  They are so appreciative of my experience and mind and it is great to work for nice people!  They ordered me all the supplies I thought I would need to get moving (ink, paper, legal pads, pens, even paper clips and flash drives!).  My first paycheck couldn't go direct deposit and when it arrived it had a note on it from one of the attorneys thanking me for my work.  And I get emails saying the same thing a lot!  How great!!!

Last night I was assigned a lot of things to get done today.  It took the remaining time I had for the week (4.5 hours) but I got everything drafted and to them and received a "thanks for your great work" email.

At some point when the business picks up again (they were turning down business because they didn't have the time for everything - no one can work more than 40 hours due to personal circumstances and now they are advertising again) then I will get more hours.  For right now 10 works well.  It ensures I get at least 2.5 days off a week and since I work from home inbetween emails or calls assigning me tasks I can get dishes or laundry done, read or watch some tv.  At the point where my hours are doubled to 20 I will be off unemployment altogether.  I won't be making much more than on just unemployment and it will still be a very tight budget, barely making it, but it will be off unemployment.  I am hoping that happens in another couple of months.  When it gets to 30 hours a week then I will really be earning my pay by doing complicated things (which I love) and be making decent money again.

For right now I am happy to have the job.  More than half my weekly income is coming from real employment.  I work for very nice people doing what I love.

Life is pretty good.  I am a lot happier.  I even don't mind doing housework because I'm not so depressed.  And because I am pretty sure this will continue and I can stay in my house.

Eventually when I am feeling more secure I will cautiously move ahead and the first thing I need to do is buy a couch.  Of course I have to save for that and it will take some time, even at 20 hours a week, but if I can do that by the end of the year I'll be happy.

Looking forward to spending Christmas in my house, decorated, again.  I didn't decorate last year.  Hoping to be able to go see my family for a week in October if I can work out the work schedule.

Tomorrow I am taking my dear friend (adopted sister) Susan to lunch because her birthday is Friday.  It will be nice to see her!  I wish I had a present for her but, unfortunately, it wasn't in the budget so lunch will have to do.

I haven't blogged because writing about sad things is hard and I don't want to post those.  But God has blessed me with this job and the promise that the plan for me includes happiness and the job so I am feeling good enough to post this.  I know the last job only lasted 5 weeks.  But I have a feeling this is a good, long term job, that God wanted me to be patient and wanted me to find the perfect job, even if it was part time, that would bring me happiness and fulfillment.  So far it's working.  Thank you, God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home