Ramblings of A Mutant Penguin

The Mutant Penguin Herself Speaks - Personally

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Just Before Christmas Update

I haven't done an update lately and it's just a week before Christmas so I suppose I should write something.

No word from the Sheriff's office. Who knows how long they'll be or if I'll ever even hear from them. Asking at the county only generates a "we're working on it" response.

I had applied for a secretarial job with the Office of Education but in June I had interviewed with them for a similar job in a different department, up against only 3 other people, and didn't get the job. Probably because I stupidly asked about things like benefits and it was obvious that they did NOT want me to ask questions. So I am thinking perhaps the BCOE (Butte County Office of Education) saw I had interviewed, read the notes and will never give me another chance. I was very depressed after getting the email from them that said, "no thanks".

So basically there was nothing positive happening. I did find one job to apply for that is a half hour commute one way but pays enough to support me and the commuting. The application should get to them Monday. This is the first job in a month and a half that I could apply for that not only did I qualify for but it paid enough to live on.

Congress has extended uenmployment extensions for another two months. I believe they are using the current plan. If this is true, when my benefits run out and I get an extension it will be for 20 weeks. I am calling the unemployment office tomorrow to verify not only this but to make sure I don't have to do anything to get the extension or, if I do, what I need to do. My benefits expire January 6th.

I will spend Christmas with Susan and her family. I feel terrible that I cannot purchase Christmas presents for anyone. I couldn't do anything for Matt's birthday, either. He turns 5 on the day before Christmas. And I forgot to send his parents an anniversary card so I need to apologize for that. Their anniversary is Christmas.

My mom sent me a box with some wrapped presents to put under the tree. My dear friend Jeannie sent me a present, too! And Amy says she has something for me so I will go pick that up when I am in town Wednesday. I wish I could do something for her. She is very supportive of me through all this mess.

Even if the extension only takes me to the end of February it's something and a help. I will keep looking and applying for work.

I did not put the tree up or do much in terms of decorating. I did a small amount. I have my ceramic tree out and light it every night. My presents sit on the floor in front of the little table holding the tree. I had said that if I had a job or an extension before Christmas I would put up the big tree but my knees have convinced me that going upstairs to haul the tree down is probably not a good idea.

Oh, and here's something fun - one of the springs came off my recliner which lifts the foot rest. Hopefully my friend Alma will be here sometime to help me fix it - she said she would but she's very busy now between part time work and volunteering. I am glad she has found a way to work, volunteer, have enough income and be happy. Sure hope sometime it's my turn!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and a nice New Year. I have a reprieve for a while. Not sure if it's 8 weeks or 20 but, as I said, anything helps.

Here's hoping 2012 will bring me the blessing of a job. And good things for all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home