Ramblings of A Mutant Penguin

The Mutant Penguin Herself Speaks - Personally

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Insurance Racket

Gotta love insurance companies. I have recently changed from renter's to home owner's and the auto has been switched to the same company. I received a nice little "not a bill" from my prior auto insurance company and six months coverage will only cost me $413 for full coverage. That's 3/4 what the car is worth! I have dropped full coverage with the new policy so it's about $200/6 months but I know based on my mileage it will go up about $40 when it's due again. Still, $480/yr. for a car worth $1200 is a lot. But I had to have higher than basic coverage to protect my house ($100k v $15k). That's worth it. Wouldn't want to lose the house.

Still, insurance is expensive. And I don't want to talk about my health insurance. When the agent tells you to consider it catastrophic only, that's not good. I no longer can have the lab tests he wants and instead get just one at his office the day of visit. They charge me $17 for the test the lab charges $350. If I can write off what I pay for meds and premiums and it's enough, at least this year it might help. I will be able to get the $8k credit for buying the house and I can deduct interest, charitable gifts and business expenses. And maybe have enough to pay myself back for the repairs I have made and still need to make.

Eventually it will be cheaper to NOT work. I can get better health coverage, housing and food assistance. Hey, even mortage payment might be made by the government! Pretty soon between what the feds and state take for taxes I won't be able to afford to work. This is sad. What has happened to our country?

Guess it's the insurance racket. And then some.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home