Ramblings of A Mutant Penguin

The Mutant Penguin Herself Speaks - Personally

Monday, January 07, 2008

Humble

I think we all need a power outage to make us humble. To remember what a miracle it is to have electricty. To have artificial light. Warmth. Hot water. Hot food. Telephones and computers and means of communication. In a lot of the world these things are merely dreams. How blessed I am to have access to all this and more. I count my blessings daily but today I'm going to count them again and give thanks for them again. And pray that someone for whom these luxuries are only a dream can have their dream come true. Why worry about the little things. I can clean clothes and not have to use river water and rocks. I can go somewhere and pick up food to eat that someone else has made without having to hunt for it, scale it, skin it, de-bone it or spark the fire to cook it.

And in among all this I have family and friends who love me. David who offered me shelter, food, hot water, coffee, light, friendship. Amy who came by to see if I was ok even though I wasn't home. And Jo who kept tabs on what was happening even when she herself was without.

My prayers are with my dear adopted sister Susan who lost her roof on the house AND the barn. For a ceiling that collapsed. And thank heaven she wasn't hurt.

Sometimes it takes an act of God to remind us to be humble.

I get it. I hope you reading this do, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home