Ramblings of A Mutant Penguin

The Mutant Penguin Herself Speaks - Personally

Monday, February 04, 2008

Random Thoughts

I was taking out the garbage last night and was struck with some random thoughts.

Most of the time when I think about things I do the whole "pros/cons" thing. And the thing I seem to do that about the most is living alone. OK, it's not just living alone, it's being alone, too, because that's a difference. I wanted to see the list of what it is I miss most by living alone. I already know the list of pros is very big.

I admit, I miss these:

Having someone to say hello to in the morning or whenever I get home from wherever I've been which is usually work.

Eating a meal at the kitchen table with someone. I almost never eat at the table. It's a nice flat surface in the dining area to put decorations on.

Cooking. Cooking for one is depressing so I don't do it hardly ever.

Getting a second opinion without having to pick up the phone.

But you know, just as I have always known, the "con" list is short and not enough to outweigh the "pro" list. Still, once in a while I get hit with the "con" list and it seems overwhelming. And I realize that is just temporary. Being lonely is the problem, not being alone. And there are things to do to get past it. So I do.

I did a lot of knitting this weekend. I will post about that on my other blog. Sometimes I am so grateful I took up crafting again. It really does keep the loneliness away on the rare occasions when it hits. And movies. I watch a lot of movies. It used to bother me that the women in my family who lived alone watched a lot of tv. I think now I understand it. I like silence, usually in the morning, but sometimes at night, well, in the darkness, that's when it hits you that you're still alone. I have Jan next door so I am not truly alone. But when it feels that way I spent my electric budget watching tv. Movies. :)

I am going to Ally's Thursday night. I can hardly wait! We will be making apple crisp, probably Saturday. I am going to be tired but I will enjoy it. I hope I can get more pictures this time. I will be watching Matt on Sunday until either his mom gets home from work or his dad comes back from drill. Wish me luck. I have a day and a half to learn his schedule and have him get used to the stranger. Maybe someday if I can keep visiting more than once or twice a year, he'll know me when I show up. Or at least he will know the stranger is someone who loves him. 'cuz I sure do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home