Ramblings of A Mutant Penguin

The Mutant Penguin Herself Speaks - Personally

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Blessings

I count my blessings every day, not just on Thanksgiving. When I open my eyes in the morning, even if they're sore and my body aches, I thank God for the blessing of being alive, of aching and knowing that everything is there whether it works or not. I am blessed to have a warm bed in a nice house to sleep in and food in the cupboards. Coffee to warm my insides and my hands. Clothing that is warm. A car to take me to a job I love. Co-workers I enjoy working with. Friends who touch my life every day in one way or another even if it's just in a happy thought about time I have spent with them or will spend in the future. My children. My soon-to-arrive grandson Matthew. Being able to pay my bills. Oh the bill paying and food in the cupboard is especially nice when for a long time both were hard to come by and I was making ends meet by draining the life insurance that is supposed to pay for my funeral. Oh yea, I have many, many blessings.

When I lose something and pray that God will help me recover my mind enough to find it, and then I find it, I know that God has blessed me with even the tiniest thing. There are things that I count as blessings that others may not understand. The rain in winter. The sunshine in spring. The clouds over the mountains that I see on my way to work every morning. Seeing all things He has created and feeling blessed that I am able to share and experience it. Didn't I say in an earlier post that I am overly emotional and sentimental? How many people do you know cry every morning on the way to work because it's such a pretty drive? Sure, work is a chore (hint: that's why it's called WORK) but I feel my soul refreshed and ready to take on the day when I observe the beauty there is on the way to work. Makes it easier to walk in the door. Silly, maybe, but for me a blessing.

You want to know what's a wonderful blessing? This year three separate families invited me to spend Thanksgiving with them. How much does that warm my soul? I can't tell you. But it sure does make me feel blessed.

There are soft woolen Mary Jane slippers in my favorite color on my feet this morning. I am blessed in that I am able to knit and crochet and make some lovely things for my family, friends and myself. I am blessed that a group of wonderful women support and assist and teach me where knitting (and other things) are concerned.

I am blessed because I will be able to shortly have a hot shower, put on warm clothes, get into my working car that has a full tank of gas in it and drive down the road a bit to spend the day with a family I love who loves me back. They are my California family, I think.

So every day there are blessings if you look for them. The key is to remember to be thankful for them EVERY day. To not forget to say thanks to whoever grants you these blessings, whether it be God, a friend, family or a stranger.

Blessings are miracles in disguise. Recognizing this makes my soul smile along with the rest of me.

May your blessings of every day bring as much joy into your life, no matter how simple they may be, as my blessings bring me.

I am happy to know you. I count you as one of my blessings. Happy Thanksgiving.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger Old Knitter said…

    We are the one who count our blessings for having you as a good friend!!!! And I agree you SHOULD write a book!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home